Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Some time ago I wrote a letter to the editor of the Equity magazine. It was in response to articles lamenting the lack of work for actresses of a more mature nature. Naturally the letter has not been published in the latest issue which arrived today. Reading it again it’s a bit of a puff for me so maybe that is not surprising so here it is in its entirety …

The Editor
Equity magazine.

“for publication”

In the last two magazines I have read of the plight of the older actress, the paucity of jobs and roles, and I notice that, apart from producers and casting directors etcetera, writers are also at fault. Many years an actor and with firsthand knowledge of the vicissitudes of the profession I do sympathise, but I am also a playwright so I can see this problem from a different angle. Unfortunately I am not a management that can offer employment to elderly actresses and I cannot force managements to accept my plays but I would like to point out that, even when parts are written for the more mature lady, she more often than not baulks at it. It all started many many years ago with my very first play. I thought Flora Robson perfect for the lead and offered it to her. Her reply was. “What would my fans say if I played a part like that?” To this day I can’t fathom out what her objection was. I sent a play to Beryl Reid who, in a BBC canteen, told everyone, “This is Glyn Jones and he’s written this simply marvellous play I’m not going to do.” I can name any number of actresses, well known and not so well known who have thurnbed their noses despite the fact that I have written any number of parts for the mature artiste including three full length stage plays with all women casts, one of which is continuously done by amateurs all over the world and professionals in Europe but not in the UK, one of which has been produced twice in the USA, and another play produced over there in which the lead is a woman in her eighties has been published by French’s, New York. Another in which there are two parts for mature women, one in her eighties, I sent to Jessica Tandy when I was in the States. This one too came back but with a charming note saying ‘a little too close to home I’m afraid.’ I even sent one play to ‘Women In Film’ in the States and it was yet another script that like so many disappeared into the blue with no response. I am sure there are other writers in the same position as myself. My latest work, written here in Crete, is a musical and again there is a leading part for a mature actress. Mature? This character in the end is ninety-three! So I really do think I have done my bit as far as actresses are concerned. If you want the full story, read my autobiography, NO OFFICIAL UMBRELLA, published late last year.

GLYN JONES

info@glynjones.net

Vamos 73008
Crete, Greece.

No comments: