Thursday, March 11, 2010

“Toot Toot Pom Pom! Jim bring the medals.” So my sainted mother used to say. “Stop blowing your own trumpet.” I think one of the problems I have faced all my life is that I have never really been able to blow my own trumpet, certainly not as an actor, not with any conviction anyway and for an actor that is definitely a no-no. Yesterday I received a quite charming (and somewhat flattering) fan letter from a couple in Lancashire for DOCTOR WHO – THE SONTARON EXPERMENT and goodness knows how long it is since I was in that. It isn’t the first fan letter received for that particular show but this is what it says, ‘…we would like to tell you how much we enjoyed your work both as a writer and as an actor. Your work both on and off screen throughout the classic scenes was outstanding, the role of Krans in the Tom Baker story THE SONTARON EXPERIMENT was very well portrayed and brought added strength to the storyline.’ With the letter were two photographs for signing and it feels strange to look at myself as I was then, quite handsome really (trumpets!) with a week or mores growth of red beard and a full head of hair.
But now I am going to blow my trumpet, quite loudly in fact, though I doubt Jim will bring the medals. If I were to die tomorrow I would do so knowing with satisfaction that I had written two quite remarkable pieces; one a play, the other a novel. The play is THE 88 which, despite its severe mauling by the London critics is, I do believe, still my best work for the theatre. Having been brought to my attention yet again by an enquiry I have just reread it. There are other plays of mine of which I am particularly fond but none as powerful as this. The other work is the novel ANGEL which again I have just reread, this time for proofing, but again I was struck at how remarkable the writing is and sometimes found it hard to believe it was actually I who wrote it, particularly as I originally penned it many many years ago when very young and, as a writer, still figuratively wet behind the ears. I hope both the play and the book will be published this year. Despite my pride in achievement I doubt they will be runaway bestsellers and, being published in Greece, they certainly won’t be eligible to win any prizes, but I know of all my work I will get the deepest satisfaction out of seeing them out there. The Thornton King books are maybe fun and clever and there are other plays of which I am fond but ANGEL and THE 88 are in a class of their own. Now I will put away the trumpet and get on with what looks like what is going to be a lovely day.

No comments: